For two days we have romped, rolled, snow angeled, tubed, snow-manned, and snow balled. After 4 long years it snowed, and we loved it. The anticipation started Monday night as Porter pulled up his blinds and watched. He watched and waited until he fell asleep. Marshal came home from basketball practice cold and hyper-we needed snow so he could spend his energy.
It started after midnight. The wind roared and the snow fell in large beautiful flakes. The kind perfect for playing in-light and fluffy.
Tuesday morning dawned and the kids with it. They raced into our room to tell us it was snowing. "Was this Hannah's first snow storm?" they asked." Can we go out in it now?"
So we abandoned breakfast and pulled down an old box from the attic filled with unused snow gear. Porter grabbed the smallest pair of snow pants and put them on, a full three inches of legs were left exposed. Then he put on "no show" socks and tennis shoes. He was ready to go. Twenty minutes later I had bundled them all up, and covered Porter legs. Of course we had to use belts for the oversized snow pants and tie the gators and retie the gators after they fell down when the began to run. Fortunately we did have gloves for all, in the right sizes, and they proved to be indispensible.
In the morning the focus was on snowballs-"How do you make them so good mom?" they asked. I felt proud of my expertise and taught them my secret snowball making technique. Short minutes later I was pummelled with snowballs in perfect form. We made snow angels and tiny snowmen. Then we got cold and went inside. Steaming cups of hot chocolate and warm cake-of only the healthiest kind was our mid morning snack. Then later we had chips.
Tyler came home at lunch with the best surprise-a huge intertube bought at the local tire store.
We spent the rest of the day sliding down the little hill by our house. Friends came to join us about 3 with boogie boards and an imitation snowboard-which proved to be my demise.
What fun! Of course Wednesday the fun was carried to the lawns of the doctor and the radiologist where restless children and husband,waiting for their mother/wife, built snowmen. "Is your knee broken?" they asked. "I don't know yet," I answered. Two hours and two beautiful snowmen later the doctor made his diagnosis. "The bone isn't broken," he said. "I think you have a torn meniscus."
"You don't work?" he said "Why then go home and stay off your leg for 5-7 days, come back if it doesn't improve and we'll do an MRI." I forgave him his ignorance, and started to pity my poor husband who would have to pick up my slack.
Today the sun is slowly melting our clean white snow and I sit with leg propped. Fortunately I took pictures and we are saving the intertube for 2013 when we will get to enjoy our beautiful snow covered hill again.

3 comments:
Oh no! I feel so bad about your knee, but I did enjoy reading about the fun filled day. Luckily you had some snow gear. I had nothing for Emily. Her little knit gloves were soaking wet after 5 minutes.
I think we will get a sled when they go on sale and save it for 2013!
Good luck staying off that knee for a week!
Katie! I'm so sorry about your knee - but that will only make the memory more permanent! Love you!
Katie- Today Emily was talking about her friend Hannah. She said she wanted to go to Hannah's house and see the puppies. I wasn't sure what she was talking about, but I asked my Mom and she said you guys did have some puppies there when Emily came over recently. So I guess it was your Hannah that Emily wanted to see. Maybe we will be down for a visit soon!
Post a Comment