Thursday, April 10, 2008

Conference bliss amidst the Baseball Craze









Where has the week gone? Here it is Thursday and I haven't blogged once. My mind is always churning but what to write? I have had conference quotes rattling my brain. I loved conference despite the absolute meltdown that our children had in the afternoon session both days. Thanks to Carmen for the conference packets. We had at least 2 sessions of relative ease-or at least mild attentiveness from our children. i love when they actually look up at the screen. Usually at the metion of some farm animal or lesson learned on a farm or in one instance a story of a mission served in Argentina cause that's where Uncle Scott is going.






My personal favorites were Sister Lant about traditions, Elder Ballard for young mothers, President Ukdorf(I'm sure I spelled that wrong-its late and I don't feel like checking it) faith of our father, and President Monson, not to metion Elder Zwick and Elder Nelson. I admit it I am a conference junkie.

What else? Baseball season is upon us and it has come with a vengence. 3 practices a week for Porter and 2 for Marshal. Games start tuesday. 3 a week for each until June 6th at which point I swear I will never do this again- Unless the kids really really want too.



Porters coach is Great and it is good for him despite that he doesn't like baseball because he has to run in a circle and not a square. Marshal is entering the more competitive(at age seven?)league and I have had mixed feelings.



It seems to me that there should be more focus on the kids learning the sport, being good sports and enjoying themselves at this age. Instead it turns into a coaches competition, and only a few coaches seem able to remember what the real objectives of sports at age 7 Should be when their egos are on the line.

However, the silver lining is that Marshal is learning something about perserverence and yesterday at practice, he played at pitchers mound and he caught 4 pop flys 2 more that hurtled straight at him and stopped all but 2 that came his way-not to mention beautiful throws to first base. He literally shocked his coach(who has had him outfield all year)- but not us- and he was beaming.


And so I wonder what if my kids really really want to play baseball again next year? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

1 comment:

Jared, Beth, Carter, Maylee and Bridger said...

Yay!! Another update! I know I say that everytime but I just love hearing how you guys are doing! It's amazing how big both Marshal and Porter are in those pictures!!! I really hope you guys are still able to come and visit this summer!?!? And I hope if you do that we are still here?? Things are still up in the air with only three more weeks till graduation! I hope something works out pretty soon, cross your fingers and keep us in your prayers! :) I love you guys!!
Love, Beth :)