Yesterday morning I was roused from my early morning reading by the very loud clucking of hens. Or so I thought. It turned out to be the the clucking of a frantic rooster being chased by two dogs. I looked out the window and couldn't see anything and laid back down. I heard more frantic clucking and looked out a different window. A big black dog was circling the hen coop and then he ran up the hill and over the road. I couldn't see bigfoot the rooster and thought he had been killed.
I went to the front of the house and opened the door. I saw a mane of gold down in the ditch. The rooster had been trapped by a golden retriever under the culvert in front of our house. The dog ran to the open door and started wagging its tail. I guess he was proud of his work and wanted me to be too.
For two days we thought we might have finally found our family pet. We called the pound because we couldn't just keep him if he was really somebody else's dog. The kids fell in love with him and then.... His owner showed up at our house to claim him. We had been calling him Jesse-thanks to Porter, who named him after his friend from church.
His real name isDuke, he lives on 1200 acres of farm land. You know I think he fell in love with the kids and despite the acres of endless exploring he has on his farm, he wanted to stay with us. When his owner called for him to get in the truck he laid down and refused to move. His owner eventually had to pick him up and put him in the truck.
Maybe he will wander back, or maybe well have to get a golden retriever of our own.

No comments:
Post a Comment